[pct-l] Giardia Medications

At 03:59 PM 3/20/01 , jcryan@pocketmail.com wrote:
>Thanks for your many kind responses to my last minute inquiries. Here's
>another: Does anyone have any experience with giardia meds like Flagyl?
>I've also heard of some hikers getting different bug meds in Mexico. How
>did they work for you and do you even think they are worth carrying on the PCT?

Flagyl (generic name metronidazole) is hard on the body and is expensive,
and you need to take it for 5 days.

Tinidazol (brand names Trinigyn,  Fasigyn) is much easier on the body, much
cheaper, and you take it once, but you have to buy it in Mexico, unless you
are in the US Armed forces, then that is the drug they will give you for
Giardia....

It is a cheap generic and no greedy drug company corporation would spend
the $millions needed to get it FDA certified when they couldn't patent it
and recover their costs. The FDA will not accept foreign research and drug
history as basis for certification in the US. (Hmmm, maybe the problem is
Not with the greedy corporations after all....)

GoForth had chronic Giardia and took a couple of courses of Flagyl with no
improvement. I gave her some Tinidazol and I believe it cured her.
Personally, I carry Tinidazol instead of a filter. You just have to be
smart with self diagnosis and treatment. See my archived post at
http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/9602/msg00292.html

This will get you some more stuff too
http://www.google.com/search?q=Tinidazol+giardia