[pct-l] tarps vs tents

Just have to get my 2 cents worth in.....

This "old gal" has used a tarp tent for the past 3 years and unless I am
in snow will use it all the time, incl. Washinton and Oregon.  I made
mine  8 x10 and use it like a tent.  I have lightweight netting each end
with really lite zippers.(these open wide if I want to reconfigure the
tarp.) It is a copy sorta from Henry Shires tent.   It holds two of us
plus our gear. I have never gotten my bag wet from rain.  I do use a
piece of tyvek on the ground.
I put it up like a tent using my hiking poles each end and guyed out.
Then just stake it along each side.  Very little if any condensation  due
to the open ends, and when it does get really wet it does not weigh a ton
to pack it up, at lunch time just put it out to dry and by carrying it on
the outside of my pack it is nearly dry anyhow.  I also have a poncho
made from same stuff and can make a vestibule if need be.

I do sleep out alot if the weather is dry and warm, so then it just stays
in my pack.  You know I have never had ants or bugs crawl on me and it is
a wonder to me how the Hammock people find trees in the first 600 miles
of the PCT.  Though I have tied up to the Joshawa trees when the ground
is super hard to put in stakes.

Cheers,    Marge (the old gal)

Thanks,
Greg Prothman, Sr.