[pct-l] Fw: Bonfire Lantern Test

I have one and used it during a four night winter outing in the Adirondacks
a few weeks ago.  Here are my comments:

(1) The light it casts is terrific.  It is brighter than a candle lantern
and better directed.

(2) It can be used with lithium batteries, and I did so.

(3) It lasts practically forever.

(4) I did not like the switch at all.  The switch has "high" and "low"
settings that are nearly useless (it was very hard for me to tell the
difference in light output).  The switch is a rocker switch  under some sort
of waterproofing and is nearly impossible to operate with gloves on.  Also,
because the output is so similar between the high and low settings it is
hard to know which has been selected in the dark.  I would have much
preferred a single on/off switch permanently set to the "low" setting (which
claims a much longer battery time).

(5) Did I say the light was bright.... I could easily have used it as a back
up flashlight, and could probably have followed a trail with it.

(6) The light comes with a string that can be hooked over detents on either
side of the light to hang it from things.  It was difficult to work with
gloves and came off easily.  I lost it once (but found it again).  It is
clever, but not as practical as I would have liked.

(7) I used the light successfully in my tent, but where it really shown
(sorry) was in a snow kitchen we set up.  I really liked the fact that I
could just leave the thing on.

(8) The cast light (a yellow/amber color) was OK, but lacked the character
of light from a candle lantern.  On the other hand, the Bonfire is more
convenient in every other way.

I will take this item on any future winter hikes, despite the awful switch.
I won't take it during the summer because the days are longer and I don't
have any need for it.

On a slightly related note, I also used a Princeton Tec Matrix (a 3 led
headlamp) on the same trip.  I liked the Matrix very much.  It's light is
nowhere near as bright as a halogen headlamp, but it is more than enough to
find my way around with and lasts nearly forever.  I really liked being able
to just use it, and not be constantly turning it on and off.  LED lights are
the way to go.

-- Jim