[pct-l] Diamondback Dave

I hiked with WalkOn for about a week or so in Southern
CA.  Well during this time there were snake sightings,
but none like the rattler along the San Felipe
Traverse.  We were hiking early morning to make it to
Barrel Springs before noon.  WalkOn was in front, me
in the middle, and Penn. Jeff in the rear.  All of a
sudden we hear the rattle.  the snake is to our left
and it is pissed.  We try to go around but this snake
is mad as hell.  So WalkOn takes off is pack puts it
in front of him, a barrier from the snake, and walks
on.  The snake strikes, I can't believe what I am
seeing, Jeff tries to take a picture, and all the
while WalkOn just keeps going.  Having only been on
the trail a week I was impressed.

Jeff and I told the story to a number of hikers as we
hiked the souther section.  I saw Dave again leaving
Mt Adams in WA.  I was going North, him South.

Oh those snakes.  They bring back memories.

Keep hiking

Tony "Trail Mix"