From: ROYROBIN@aol.com [mailto:ROYROBIN@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2001 1:25 PM
To: brick@fastpack.com; spiritbear2k@hotmail.com;
pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] (Guest Post) PCT Total Vertical Gain?

<<  I can tell you that 318,563 feet won't get you through California. That
may be the "book" value, but it's not even close to the total elevation
gain....

 Jim:  Since I was not privy to the methods used to collect the data, I made

no defense. >>

The people on this list are pretty sharp.  (Well, except maybe for Monte's
pistols and pretty legs thread.)  There is a right answer to this PCT total
elevation gain question, but no "correct" answer.  Have you heard of
fractals?  This is the perfect fractional dimension problem.

How far is it around a lake?  It's obviously a two-dimensional problem.
Right?  Water is level.  You can look at a map of the lake and measure the
distance around it.  But if you go out and pace the distance around the
water's edge, you'll get a larger number.  Why?  Because your 2 to 3 foot
stride takes into account all the  irregularities that don't show on the
map.
 Now, go around the lake again, measuring the water's edge one millimeter at

a time (or one micrometer.)  Whoa!  The distance becomes really, really
large!  You begin to understand that the distance around the lake is a
fractal, something more than two dimensions but less than three.

So, how should we measure the "true" total vertical gain on the PCT?  There
is no correct answer, because it is a fractional dimension problem.
However,
there is a right answer.  There is a right answer for you, and there is a
slightly different right answer for me.  Don't use a map of the highs and
lows; definitely do not go out there with a millimeter scale.  Simply add up

each and every elevation change, up or down, that you accomplish with YOUR
stride, then add up the "ups".  That is YOUR right answer.  (And you thought

fractals were difficult.)  If one of the class of "01 would be so kind as to

do the math and tell us the "right" answer to this question, we would be
grateful!