[pct-l] Weather for class o' 2001

In my less than Humble opinion the key sensor is Upper Tyndall Creek. It is
on the slope between Forrester Pass and Shephard Pass. As I have said
previously, it is not how much snow is on the snow pillar NOW but rather
when the snow pillar reads clear of snow that is the best determination of
when to leave Kennedy Meadows.

In 1998, a huge snow year, it read 46.60 inches as of 4/1/1998
In 1999, a very low snow year, it read 13.60 inches as of 4/1/99
In 2000, a relatively low snow year, it read 21.20 inches as of 4/1/2000

Today, 3/13/2001, it reads 13.80 inches.

In 1999 crossing Evolution Creek on June 16-17 was an almost
life-threatening experience. [This from Annie and the Salesman at Muir Trail
Ranch on June 17]. The climb to Forrester [presumably about a week earlier]
was "not bad" but they encountered "four miles of post holing" from the pass
north.

Possibly some other 1999 and 2000 thruhikers could relate the conditions
they encountered and the date when they left Kennedy Meadows.

Right now I estimate that this year will be a lot like last year.

Tom