[pct-l] (Guest Post) PCT Total Vertical Gain?

In a message dated 3/12/2001 10:40:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kdpo@pacbell.net writes:

> 318,563 feet is the figure at the bottom of the trip planner.

I think that figure is derived from the difference of high and low points
according to the guidebooks.  Unfortunately, not all high and low points were
recorded.  It was nearly impossible to read the guidebooks and imagine an
accurate profile of the trail in many sections.  There were many times
between two points that showed little or no elevation gain, yet when hiking
the trail there were surely some climbs and descents in-between.

I may be wrong, but I think the figure should be higher.

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---