[pct-l] More Info on Satelitte Phones

My data on satelitte phones:

Global Star
Satelitte Outfitters [www.phonetraders.com] is offering a $300 mail in
rebate on new and used  GPS-1600 Globalstar Phones. The weight was not
listed on the web page. I would guess about a pound. The web site currently
quotes $695 for a new and $575 for a used phone. The rebate ends on April 15
2001 [it says]. The basic GlobalStar rate plan is $24.95 per month plus
$1.69 per miniute.

Iridium
Iridium may be coming back. Satelitte Outfitters is offering a Motorola 9500
phone for $895 new or $495 used. My 9500 weighs about 18 ounces [the page
says 1 pound]. A Motorola 9505 is available for $1495 that weighs only 375
grams [it says]. The basic Iridium rate is $19.95 per month plus 1.49 per
miniute.

I have found that the price they quote is sometimes negotaible. For example,
I purchased my Iridium for $100 below the published price.

How good is the service? My understanding is that a satelitte phone is about
as reliable as an older GPS unit. It needs a clear view of the sky to get a
proper fix. However, to me it provides two HUGE advantages.
1-I am available to my loved ones as long as I camp in an area where I can
get a fix and I turn the phone on. My Motorola 9500 claims 24 hour stanby
and 3.2 hours talk time per battery. Cutting this by 2/3 still leaves me the
ability to leave the phone on 1 hour per day, say 8PM to 9PM, for people to
contact me assuming 8 days between resupply/recharge.
2-I can call and coordinate resupply from a support person. One of the real
problems of on-trail resupply is the meeting place and time arrangement.  My
plan is to simply have two phones and coordinate in real-time.
I plan to try to get my Iridium turned on by ADZPCTKO and carry it during my
Section A hike with Charlie when we overnight.

Is the cost and weight worth it? A typical cost budget for the Iridium 9500
phone for a 5 month thru-hike would be approximately $1000. [$500 to buy the
phone, $100 in monthly service charge, 2 miniute per day average call] My
understanding, from this forum, is that the typical thru-hike budget is
about $4000. Therefore a phone represents a 25% increase in that budget. At
a pound, the phone represents about a 7% increase in the average base weight
[15-20] of ultralight but not Jardine style hikers. However, the ability to
call FROM THE TRAIL, and arrange supply packages, replacement gear etc. will
greatly reduce resupply problems and the time spent in towns.  The peace of
mind for your loved ones? Priceless!

Will a phone detract from the wilderness and thruhiking experience?
Probably. Most of us hike because we enjoy the ILLUSION of self reliance. A
majority of thruhikers I know enjoy their disassociation from society and
immersion into the thruhiker society. Any connection with society will
detract from these experiences and a working phone will do so, far more in
my opinion, than a handheld e-mail device. [The Iridium claims 9600 baud
data capabilities]

Hike your own hike.

Tom