[pct-l] need some info

At 10:31 AM 3/10/01 , Reynolds, WT wrote:
>The simple solution is a satelitte phone. They are available for about $600
>and weigh less than a pound

$600?
http://www.msua.org/globalstar_handsets.htm
shows prices beginning at around $1000 for the handset

Which model? In my experience traditional satellite phones using
Geostationary satellites are heavy and difficult to use. (like the Inmarsat
"mini-M") Though I see a lot of hype about them, small lightweight handsets
aren't available yet for Geostationary satellite systems (despite the
prices quoted above).

The two companies providing Low Earth Orbit phones are biting, or have
bitten the dust

Iridium, the first "satellite cell phone" company went bankrupt, and I
don't think they are providing service any more (though their website
indicates they will be again "soon")
http://www.iridium.com/
Related URLs
http://www.msua.org/iridium.htm
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010307/tc/motorola_iridium_dc_1.html
http://biz.yahoo.com/fo/010117/0117disaster.html

Globalstar is still providing service, but it doesn't look like they will
be for long.............
http://www.globalstar.com/
http://biz.yahoo.com/fo/010117/0117disaster.html

Tom, More info would be welcomed