[pct-l] need some info - Or keeping found!

>> With all due respect to Ron, I think his objection to ELTs are based more

on a philosophy of self reliance than actual problems with ELTs. <<

Actually I don't have any problems with or objections to ELT's. At least
none that I'm aware. Aside from taking part in several ELT practice SAR
rescues in the late '70's and early '80's, I don't have a significant amount
of knowledge about them. I also quite sure that today's units are
significantly more accurate and reliable than the one's we dealt with back
then.

If you decide to take one, you might want to consider it from the SAR's
point of view.  Currently I'm not aware of any great move on the part of
backcountry travelers, horsemen, hunters, hikers, etc. to adopt ELT's for
personal usage. So that means that 99.999 percent of their usage still
remains in the domain of the downed aircraft or boats at sea.

So chances are any SAR effort on land will start with and aerial search for
plane wreckage. An aerial search for a healthy person standing in a clearcut
or meadow is hard enough. Trying to locate someone who's incapacitate and in
the trees is damn difficult.

So if you're going to take one of these devices. Try and an make sure your
injured somewhere someone can see you easily.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
http://www.fallingwater.com/