[pct-l] [Fwd: Butch Wiggs @ Vermilion]

Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 15:25:39 -0800
From: edisonlake <edisonlake@psnw.com>
To: "pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net" <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject: Butch Wiggs @ Vermilion

Dear, Dear Hikers,
           I hope everyone can forgive the lapse in time for our family
not responding to overwhelming notes, letters, e-mails etc.  from the
hiking community that followed Butch's death. We are in as great of
shock as everyone is and still at this time, I have no acceptance or
closure.
I don't even know where or how to begin, so please bear with me as I try
to get through this.
I just, for the first time,  turned on Butch's E-mail yesterday and
realized that he told everyone of our seperation. That was all it was, a
time out. After 16 years of living with Butch, we needed a break. For
those who truly knew him, knew he was a complicated man. That is all I
will say about our personal lives.
Butch was a pain in the ass at opening. We all couldn't wait for that
first hiker to come in so he would relax. His whole reason for opening
at a certain time was to make sure that first PCT hiker had his
re-supply box and a place to stay. When we bought the resort 7 years
ago, it was geared toward the fishing and camping folks. It did not take
Butch long to realize the education, talent and humor that came off that
trail. There were two things I would never discuss with Butch, religion
and politics. Boy, did you guys fullfill his need for those subjects.
The only woman I have ever seen stand toe to toe with Butch, on
politics, was a hiker. It was a great thing to watch! Butch had
definately found his calling in life, which only adds to the
unbielevable disbelief as to what he did. The resort was his whole life,
but only because of the hikers.
This was a familiy operation and part of the family is missing.
Vermilion was Butch's dream and as his family, we stood by him and
helped him realize his dream. The girls and I can run the resort without
Butch. The only thing is, we don't want to. I have talked to the girls
in length about keeping the resort and it seems to be a mutual feeling
that we need simplicity in our lives. That mountain will never be the
same for our family without Butch.
The resort is for sale, but only to someone who is going to keep up the
tradition that Butch had for hikers. That is my promise to you all. The
amount of money from the sale is secondary to the person who we choose
will buy it. We will open this Spring as we always have and will
continue accepting re-supply boxes at the same address. I would
appreciate all of you spreading the word so that everyone will continue
to plan their trips and stop in at Edison Lake.
I cannot thank this hiking community enough for the last 7 years and
what you have brought to and given to our family. The girls and I love
ya'll very much and again, Thank You.
Peggy Wiggs

multipart/mixed
---