[pct-l] SHARP TM-20?

At 01:26 PM 3/5/01 , R.J.Calliger wrote:
>What I said is true.  I am *very* surprised you questioned me!!
>
>Your voice does not switch at 28KBS or 56KBS or use Kflex!! <g>....
>
>I thought this was (obviously) apparent when I said "analog data"
>which differentiates it from "voice".

OK. I oversimplified. I don't doubt your expertise on high speed data
transmission over phone lines. But you are obviously unfamiliar with the TM-20.

I didn't want to get into a technical discussion about time division
multiplexing of FSK audio data transmission on cheap switches.

The TM-20 is anything but high speed.

Though pocket mail doesn't advertise the baud rate, the acoustic coupler
used in the TM-20 works as slow as about 300 BPS, not 56K (56000) BPS. (or
about 180 times slower) Most of your post was concerning 56K modems, not a
TM-20 which was the original question.

TM-20s will work fine over digital lines, even over the digital PBX lines
that cause problems in hotels. This "digital PBX" problem is probably where
the "modem over digital phone" concern came from. About the only thing that
a TM-120 won't work on is a digital cell phone, and then it sometimes does.

People I know that have had problems with TM-20s attributed them to a bad
acoustical coupling at the phone itself because of handset shape.