[pct-l] SHARP TM-20?

At 02:48 AM 3/5/01 , R.J.Calliger wrote:
>Any analog based modem device, not just the Sharp, will unfortunately not
>work with digital phone lines as these new lines cannot "speak"
>analog data which has a series of tones used to represent computer
>data.

Not true in this case.

Your voice is analog data. The phone seems to work with it OK. <g>

The analog/digital problem you reference comes with direct wire connection
from the analog modem to the digital phone line.

The TM20 uses an acoustic interface, not a direct wire connection, so the
FSK audio signal it uses should work on digital phone lines just fine.
However it is fairly slow (which is OK for email).

I think the problems with some pay phones has to do with the shape of the
handset an the type of microphone and speakers they use, not the base
technology.

-B