[pct-l] Powdered Brew?

I few years ago I ran across some powdered beer (at REI, I think).  I tried
it, and can only say that was much better than any other beer I have been
willing to carry on my back.  Actually, with an alcohol stove and
everclear...but I digress.  When water is added to this powder, it foams up,
producing a "near beer" that is reminiscent of a below average homebrew.

My question:  Does anyone know if it is still being produced?  Where to find
it?

A quick hiking/beer story:

Two years ago, my partner and I were descending from Goodale Pass into
Graveyard Meadows in the middle Sierra.  Near the top of the pass, partner
says "we have a problem."  He had run across a large leather bag, 30 pounds
or so, obviously dropped by one of the pack trains.  Within were obviously
valuable and personal stuff.  We agonized over the weight.  "I can do this,"
I said.  But we carefully removed the 3 pounds of beer nuts, 4 pounds of
candy, and assorted other "replaceables" leaving them with a note to enjoy
at the top of Goodale.  About 2/3 of the way down, we saw a lone rider
snaking up the switchbacks.  We guessed that he was looking for the
luxurious leather bag with the binocs, glock, knife etc.  We waited for him.

The wrangler on "Joaquin" the horse asked after the leather bag.  I turned
my back, and said "this one?"  He said something like, "looks like you won't
have to climb this mountain after all, Joaquin," and remarked that he would
owe us a beer.  Of course I demurred, assuming he meant when we meet
sometime back in the world, an unlikely event.  But he persisted, twisting
around to reach into his saddle bag, and pull out, I swear, two ice cold bud
lites, that must have been in the stream 30 minutes below.  I drank mine
instantly on that hot, white granite switchback...my partner surreptitiously
inserted his into my pack as he untied the leather bag.  He assured me
later, when challenged, that he was sure I'd not notice:  afterall, I'd been
releived of he luxurious leather bag.  We shared it that evening in camp at
Graveyard Meadows, along with the trout he had to catch to pay back for such
a dirty trick.  Of course, I still had to cook the fish.

Thought some of you would enjoy this *true* story.

Any info on the "Freeze Dried Beer" would be appreciated.

Pete

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---