[pct-l] alternate routes

But it still comes down to "nobody else's business but my own".  The point
is we each set out to hike the PCT.  As long as I remain true to my personal
set of standards, as Jim remains true to his contract, whose business is it
whether any individual walks only official PCT tread, present, past, or
hoped for.

Like Jim and Ginny though, I have learned that there is little intrinsic
value in taking the official route for its sake alone.  My standards allow
me to take alternate routes for the fun of it, to visit lakes and gorges and
pristine places the official trail bypasses.  My standards don't allow me to
take alternate routes for the express purpose of avoiding the "boring" parts
or dry parts, or of cutting miles.  That's just me and it's my choice.

Hobbit