[pct-l] Re: PCT-L digest, Vol 1 #55 - 12 msgs

>soup. Ultra lights with alcohol stoves? Better stick with the rip and
>stirs,
>Mac and Cheese, and Liptons. Eating is just a perfunctuary chore anyway,
>right? Might as well go all way and not cook at all! ( a very viable option
>-
>I'm hooked on hot meals right now but certainly open to suggestions).

Maybe I've got an incurable Epicurean streak, but I can hardly endure a
three-day hike on cold food alone; especially if it rains all three days...
I prefer to go without a hot breakfast, though, if only because it saves
time.

Here's a fairly lightweight alternative to the "rip and stirs" which I
really like and which doesn't require much more in the way of time or fuel.
Put about a cup-and-a-half of water in a pot.  Add a few pieces of jerky,
broken into small pieces, and a bouillon cube.  Bring to a boil.  Toss in a
generous handful of dried vegetables.  These I can get in bulk at the
supermarket; a few dried tomatoes, though pricey, add a lot to the flavor.
Cover the pot and shut off the heat, if you really need to conserve fuel.
Otherwise let simmer a few minutes until the vegetables have reconstituted.
To add bulk, dump in some instant mashed potatoes or couscous.

Next time I'm out I want to try combining the teriyaki jerky with instant
rice, etc, to see if it makes a good chow mein.