[pct-l] Self Resupply

I relied almost soley on resupplying as I went along. I took the town guide
at its word: When it said "limited supplies" I believed them and sent a
package there. Anyone with more than limited backpacking experience knows
that "moderately stocked" groceries have more than ample supplies for
backcountry meals. Yeah, you might have to (horror upon horror) take some
canned goods such as beannie weenies and Swansons chicken breast but unless
you are utterly obsessed with weight, so what? I never ever use rip and stirs
because they taste like you know what unless you doctor them up with all
kinds of stuff and about 4 Pepcid AC's and they cost too much. Ditto for
"energy bars" Yeah some of them are O.K. - I sampled about 15 different kinds
out of a hiker's parcel that was abandoned and opened while I was at Ollalie
Lake.  I really liked Tigers Milk- but man I grew to hate Clif Bars and their
dry cardboardy chemical taste. Give me a Mars Bar any day ( they have the
same calories, too)
   When I was at a major mart such as Big Bear Lake I would stock up on as
much fresh fruit and veggies and pastries as feasable. One meal I never tired
of was: first course - any noodleless instant soup ( Tomato I like best) 2nd
course: potatoes (they mail well, too) mixed with Red Bell peppers, onion,
yellow squash, cheddar cheese,  cherry tomatoes and chicken breast cooked in
a small frying pan with butter after boiling the potatoes. Yummy Yumkins!!
This meal is impossible if you have to ration fuel and are in a hurry - it
takes about 30 minutes to get the potatoes just right. Instant potatoes are
an option or you can substitute plain old instant rice or plain old noodles.
For Dessert - a Carnation instant breakfast (need instant milk) eaten like
soup. Ultra lights with alcohol stoves? Better stick with the rip and stirs,
Mac and Cheese, and Liptons. Eating is just a perfunctuary chore anyway,
right? Might as well go all way and not cook at all! ( a very viable option -
I'm hooked on hot meals right now but certainly open to suggestions). My
favorite treats are mid-morning cookies and milk and REAL snow cones made
with cherry sugared Kool - Aid. I didn't have a hot breakfast on the PCT but
on other trips pancakes are a big favorite with me with a myriad of toppings.
  My "Base Weight" is currently 20.5 pounds, tent, bivy sack, Zip stove and
ice ax included. I carry about 2.5 pounds of food per day so a 6 day 110 mile
well watered section (where I carry NO water - I don't filter)  puts 35
pounds on my back. I cut back on food when it's sorta flat, hot and waterless.
    In all honesty, if you like what you're eating, you're doing it right and
no two people have the same taste in food.