[pct-l] Watches, was Buy and Mail Re-supply

In a message dated 2/22/2001 1:43:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Bighummel@aol.com writes:

<< you
 don't even need a watch!  The only issue that you will need a watch for
 (unless you are a particularly anal individual) might be to time your
arrival
 at a post office before it closes.  However, under most conditions, you
 generally can figure out the approximate time of day and know how your
timing
 will or wont work out.  I LOVED not knowing or caring what time of day it
 was.  IT DOESN'T MATTER OUT THERE! >>

While I agree to actually know the time really doesn't matter, on the trail a
watch can come in handy.

You can use it for dead reckoning , miles hiked by time passed.  I know of
atleast one time, where I didn't reach a waypoint according to the data book
within a certain time when I realized I was not on trail proper and had to
turn around before becoming "hopelessly lost".

Another is, it can be used as a compass somehow........

OK, I admit, they're not neccesary, but if it has a day and month feature and
you have a deadline, you'll know when it's time to head home and god forbid,
back to work!

Sly