[pct-l] Biggest resupply surprise???

In a message dated 2/17/2001 2:44:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CitrusHicker@aol.com writes:

<< My question is for people that have resupplied en route before.  What was
the
 biggest surprise you had while buying food?  As in, "Yeah! this store is a
 lot better than I anticipated" or "Uh oh, I'm going to starve". >>

There's only one resupply in California where you'll likely to starve and
that's Warner Springs, it's best to mail yourself a package there.  Since it
appears the store in Agua Dulce has closed, along with the PO, you could be
in real trouble here, except Donna Sauffley will probably accept packages and
or take you to the nearest store.

Beldon and Burney State Park are two stops where you may want to consider
mailing yourself a package, although BeldonTown Resort and the State Park
have small stores and hiker boxes.  You can get into the town of Burney
fairly easy.

With Butch's passing it's going to be difficult to get through the High
Sierra if VVR isn't open, but I'd suggest seriously considering a resupply in
Independance and then at Red's Meadow where you can easily resupply enroute
to make it to Toulemne Meadows.  The side trail to Kearsarge Pass and Onion
Valley is extremely scenic and not all that difficult.  It's best to ask at
the Onion Valley trailhead for a ride into town.

For Oregon, it's probably best to do all your resupply for the state in
Ashland and mail or UPS (if neccesary) your packages to PO's and resort along
the way .  Likewise, with Washington and Cascade Locks.

Two places where you can resupply enroute and break up two of the longest
stretches on the trail (about 150 miles each) are in Onyx, which has a much
better stocked store than reported, and a PO, at about a 100 miles from
Mojave and Tehachapi and 50 miles from Kennedy Meadows.

Coming out of Cascade Locks to White Pass, there's the Stabler Country store,
on Wind River Rd,  at about the 35 mile mark and 4000 feet of elevation gain.
 It's about a mile off trail, but where you can continue on an alternate
route to Panther Creek Campground.  They'll also accept packages.

And the small town of Trout Lake with everything, about a 20 mile hitch on
fairly well used Road 23 at about the 83 mile mark from Cascade Locks.

Hope this all helps and I'm sure to have left some things out, but it's not
as logistically complex as it seems, once you're out on the trail.

Sly