From: Bob Moulder [mailto:cmoulder@nyc.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 1:38 AM
To: Reynolds, WT; 'Camping List'; Reynolds, Ginnie
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: Prototype Pack-More Info

If profit isn't the motive, then what is?

I can see the allure one-off designs that meet specific needs or desires,
but the moment the word "marketing" comes into the picture it is automatic
that "profit" will (hopefully) follow. Or do you think Patagonia, TNF,
Mountain Hardwear, Dana, Gregory, GoLite and the plethora of other outdoor
gear companies aren't making money?

Profit is not a dirty word -- it is your reward for ingenuity and hard work.

As for the issue of design and function, assume nothing. If marketing and
money truly are not big deals, then you can afford to do the initial field
tests at your leisure, when you do have time. Best to do the alpha testing
yourself, with beta testing on others at a later time. Alpha testing on a
PCT thru-hike is, to say the least, a bit ambitious.

All this the humble opinion, of course, of one who has had humility thrust
upon him. <g>

-- Bob M