[pct-l] Lawn chairs...

Awhile ago I happened into some 5/8 inch thinwall aircraft aluminum tubing
at a recycle yard.  This stuff is normally over 2 bucks a foot, but it was
for sale for the recycle value of the aluminum.  I bought about 200 feet,
and the plan has always been to make a few lightweight but comfortable
chairs similar to the Slinglight.  Given my bargain on the tubing, I figure
I can put together a chair for about 6 bucks (not counting 20 or so hours of
labor).  Of course, I can adjust the dimensions to anything I want.  I think
I have figured out how to accomplish the only two high tech tasks:  bending
the tubing around a 2 inch radius without collapsing it, and welding the few
joints in a chair.  Now all I need is a whole weekend in which to produce my
chair.

I, too enjoy the comfort of having a chair readily at hand.  It comes off my
pack quickly and easily, sets up in the shade, keeps my backside off the wet
and muddy spots, and it is comfortable enough to sleep in.  In an all-day
rainstorm, I'll be comfortably seated in my Clip Flashlight, reading my
paperback, and not poking holes in the tent floor.  All I really need now is
the time to manufacture my new chair to replace my old one.  I have also
been known to carry a 14 by 20 inch table with 9 inch legs.  Of all the
equipment on my back, the table was used the most.......by far.  If I ever
get the chance to thru-hike, or even section hike, I'll most likely have
both a table and chair along.  Hell, just dumping my pressurized white gas
stove saved me the weight of the table and chair together.  My soda can
alcohol stove and windscreen come in at 1.3 oz combined.

Hike on!!  ADZPCTKO is April 28.  Bob Riess at the Trailhead in San Diego.