[pct-l] bikes on the PCT

experience with bicycles in san felipe traverse, barrel springs to scissors
crossing.

Both parties were going in the opposite direction (S from Barrel springs)
that most hikers take.  this meant that I was bound to pass both parties.
both parties knew that bikes were not allowed on the PCT

I was sitting down on the trail under a small leafy bush - it was the only
shade.  If I had not heard the voices talking, I would have been run over
(It was on a down hill stretch and they were going very fast). I would have
heard a person walking and they would have been approaching more slowly.

One of these fellows had a large revolver strapped to his waist (at least a
38) - it was the only gun I saw on the entire trail.  They were both
incredibly arrogant.  Later ,these same people asked me for directions and
than a map.  When I could not get around them where they were stopped and
trying to decide what do do, I had to ask them to move in order to
continue.  One of the two asked me for water, I just looked at them - they
were carrying nothing but the gun.   The other person said," I  am not
kidding, we are out of water". Now you have to realize that I had been
Walking for more than 8 hours, much longer than they had been riding, and
been carrying a fulll pack.  Such inconsideration and arrogance is not
worth a response.

I explained to both parties that bicycles do "pyschological damage".  I
would much rather breeze through that dry traverse on a bicycle, carrying
nothing but a little water.  They believed that that choice is open to me -
that I should just be as valueless as they are.  I am very uneasy as a lone
women about any person that is on a bicycle, and that has such increased
and different mobility than I  - this puts me in an awkward and vulnerable
position as a hiker.  I am especially uneasy about such people where they
demonstrate a direct disregard for the rules and this is coupled with a
selfish attitude (I like to bicycle trails, I don't do roads, and I don't
think I do any harm).  Why would such a person carry a large revolver - I
asked this question but the person refused to answer.

I ask- did bicyclist help build the PCT?  How many of them do trail
maintenence?  I pointed out that indeed there are a lot of trails that
bicyclist can use - far more than horses can use.

Have you ever been on a horse , with a bicyclist coming fast down hill at
you .  This guy has his head down and he is going for all he is worth and
you are screaming at the top of your range to get his attention, but he has
a helmet on......  How many bicylist ride with their heads up, how many
horsemen do?  the problem is that bicyles go so fast and they often are
unseen and unheard right up to the moment of encounter and contact - both
for horsemen and hikers.

Joanne

://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l