[pct-l] permanent physical changes

Ginny, spiritbear writes:

> Seriously, for some of us, too many miles with a too heavy pack have done
>  permanent damage to our knees.

I carried, arguably, one of the heaviest packs ever on a thru-hike, as my
clothes, gear, shoes, volume of food required, etc. all weigh more due to my
large size, and, it was in the era of carry everything in case of an
emergency.  During arthoscopic surgery on my knee to repair torn cartilage
(from a ski accident, not wear and tear from hiking) recently, the surgeon
remarked that my knees are in remarkable shape for having walked that far and
for playing competitive basketball for more than 30 years.  No sign that any
permanent damage to tissues, bones, cartilage or joint surfaces is evident.

Some are lucky and/or blessed with good genetics.

Greg "Strider" Hummel