[pct-l] bear canisters

In a message dated 1/18/2001 4:31:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jim@rollercoaster.com writes:

<< I sent a message re: bear canisters that saw now replies so I'll add
 to this thread. Is it suggested by people here to sleep _with_ your
 canister? I was under the assumption that you should burry it away from
 your tent. >>

Seriously, I've never used one, but common practice is to, just as you and
Tom said, to lay it out 20-30 yards from your tent, but not in a position
where a curious bear will knock it downhill or into a creek.  Some I've
talked to stated, a bear wont ever mess with a canister.

I'm not sure about making great pillows, but they do make great seats!

Sly