Re: [pct-l] Re: [CDT-L] Fw: Earthlights from Space Station

This exchange brought back memories from one of my journal entries on the
AT...

"At one point, we watched a helicopter go by with a huge bucket underneath.
Sure enough, as we went to a lookout for sunset, we could see smoke from
forest fires in the distance. Now, as I write this journal entry, a bat is
flitting overhead and I can see a ring of fire looking like jewels on a far
off hill. As I walked back to my tent, and even from in my tent, I am
reminded that even though I am carrying everything I need on my back, this
is no wilderness experience. In almost every direction I look, I can see the
electric lights of civilization. All at once, they are both pretty and
annoying. They are necessary and I would not want to do without them when I
am home, but as I sit here writing with my headlamp, I wish they were not
visible beyond their useful range. "

It does make me want to plan a trip to northern Canada, Greenland, or even
non-coastal (desert) northern Africa or Antarctica.  Or go back to Nepal -
the towns in the Himalayas often had only a couple of hours electricity a
day - if that.  Stargazing there was fantastic.

Sigh...

Mara

P.S.  Full text of this entry (and the rest of the journal) at:

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/april1.html#5