[pct-l] Re: [CDT-L] Fw: Earthlights from Space Station

Karen -
Yeah, I think it's cool, too.  That's why I've spent 35+ years working in
the Space program.  Your image was the Astronomy Picture of the Day for 27
Nov 2000.  Here are a couple more sites - just in case you haven't found
them.  The first is the Goddard Space Flight Center Astronomy Picture of the
Day.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

The Hubble Space Telescope site:

http://hubble.stsci.edu/

These are Earth Science sites - explore a little - I think it's worth the
time:

http://www.earth.nasa.gov/gallery/index.html

http://www.earth.nasa.gov/gallery/studio.html

http://rsd.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Another good place to explore:

http://www.gsfc.nasa.gov/gsfc/gallery/index.html

Now - keep in mind that James has overlooked a couple things - first, no
amount of energy that humans can produce can match that produced by the star
we call "the Sun".  The combined energy output of all those pretty stars
that we all like to see in the sky is beyond the imagination of any human.
The "waste" that he refers to is utterly insignificant in cosmic terms.  I
wonder how he feels about the amount of energy that the Sun blows off into
space every day?  :-)

Secondly, he's obviously not a physicist.  My only comment here is - All the
energy that we generate (by whatever means, for whatever purpose) - where
does it go?  There IS a continuing - and completely natural - process for
this.  :-)

Lastly - without the energy production capacity that we have developed - and
will develop in the future - we can neither save the Earth nor go to the
stars. Your aikido experience has probably exposed you to the concept that
one either grows or dies, but life is never static.  The concept also
applies to organizations - and societies.  'Cutting back' is never an answer
- unless we want a return to the 'Dark Ages'.  The universe is not static -
and humankind will either grow to reach the stars or the race will die.

Walk softly,
Jim