RE: [pct-l] The PCT GPS Mapping Project

The benefits of GPSing the trail extend far beyond any potential of a hiker
using it to navigate along the trail. In fact it could be easily argued that
hiker navigation is the least benefit.

I'd go so far as to argue that if we wanted to really aid the hiker, we'd
spend more effort in providing decent signage where the trail intersects
roads.

The real benefit of GPS measurements is in the in the long term management
of the trail. A second benefit in helping to make more accurate planning
materials such as guide books, maps, etc.

Right now the PCT is being encroached by development. Having an accurate
placement of the trail will help to ease this and reduce the likelihood of
placing structures like cell towers next to the trail.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000

To:            "William Edward Kendall" <WilliamEdwardKendall@msn.com>, <pct-l@edina.hack.net>