[pct-l] Re: Gear Advice and Re-supply Logistics

Tony -
A lot of the thruhikers this year (including Jim and I) used Gregory Reality
packs.  They're about 4000 ci.  We liked them.  They weigh about 5 lbs, but
they're durable (Jim's has done over 6000 miles so far.)  If you have
problems with hip-belts though, you may think about doing the ultra-light
route and having a hip-belt that is just for stability, rather than weight
bearing.

As to resupply - you don't need to do it from the UK or use a commercial
company.  Save your money for the trail.

We had minimal resupply assistance.  Mostly we  purchased in towns on the
trail or else we bought in the larger towns and sent supplies to towns
ahead, either as small food drops or in our drift box  (i.e. in Ashland we
sent out drops for the rest of Oregon and in Cascade Locks we sent boxes to
the towns in Washington.) Though this doesn't work if you are into a special
diet, or like organic food, as the stock tends to be pretty basic Liptons or
Rice-a-roni type pasta and rice.  Some of the "resorts" are pretty
expensive, but you can usually find what you need.  Though as Lynne Weldon
said in his "How to hike the PCT" video, sometimes you have to be pretty
'creative'.  We started the trail with a drift box which we mailed from San
Diego (or you could mail it from Campo, if you start on a weekday.)  In the
drift box we had those items that we bought in larger quantities that we
thought we couldn't find along the trail, or that we thought would be
expensive - i.e. film, LOC, batteries, etc.   The guidebooks and maps were
also in the drift box, cut up in sections.  We actually had 4 such drift
boxes, that were mailed by a friend, but we could easily have gotten by on
just one. (I was a bit worried about losing the guidebook or maps for the
whole trail if the box was lost, but it didn't happen.)  Most of what you
will need you can find on or near the trail.  Even outdoor stores are
available if you are willing to hitch or take a bus.  We kept a copy of the
Campmor and REI catalogues in the drift box, which came in handy when things
fell apart or failed.  We just had items shipped to the next town.

The PCTA web-site had an article by Chris Bailey about hiking the trail
without mailing any food drops.  It had some really good information.  And
you'll find that the archives have several posts about which towns are good
(or not) for long-term resupply.

Ginny

To:            swisstuor@hotmail.com, pct-l@backcountry.net