[pct-l] Re: Gear Advice and Re-supply Logistics

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Tony Measures <tony.measures@cwcom.net>.
* Please use <mailto:tony.measures@cwcom.net> to reply to the sender.

Hi everybody, I am new to the list. By way of introduction my name is Tony and I live in the UK. I'm a 'young' oldtimer (ex college lecturer who has taken early retirement) and am planning on a thru-hike April 2001.

I have to confess that I have been 'lurking' in the background for a while but have greatly appreciated the views and opinions of the many experienced thru-hikers on the list. I have also read the journals of several thru-hikers from previous years and, dare I mention it, Ray Jardine's book and that of another another very experienced backpacker, Chris Townsend.

I have tried to be open minded about all the advice given and have taken on board that which I feel meets my own capabilities based on my own experiences. I plan to stick to the often repeated advice 'hike your own hike'. To that end I have been testing out possible gear during, to date, 750 training miles including a recent rain sodden 270 mile thru-hike of one of our long distance!! trails, the Pennine Way.

I'm planning on a base weight of around 18-20 lbs. I'll be using a homemade tarp (Jardine pattern) which performed well during my recent rain and wind lashed hike, a homemade Pepsi Can stove (brilliant - thanks Scott Henderson) and a down sleeping bag (-10 C / 17 F). Footwear will most likely be a leather boot (Brasher Superlite -2 lbs) although I have still to test out running shoes.
I have still to sort my pack out but am looking for something around 4 lbs or less. I am a lean 140 lbs and 5' 08" with no hips so to speak. A problem I have is that hip belts have a tendency to slide down too easily. I am not happy with choice of UK packs and am considering a US pack.

The advice I am after relates firstly to packs, secondly to the logistics of food re-supply and thirdly to start date.

PACKS
What realistic pack size is needed -- 3500 (57 lt), 4000 (66 lt) 4500 (74 lt)?
With regard to hip belts and the need for it to be comfortable over a long period and coping at times with food + 2 - 2.5 gals water etc what are the merits of the following packs.
Kelty Flight:
Apparently women don't find the hip belt comfortable -- Backpacker magazine didn't give it the best of reviews (June 2000).

Mountainsmith Mountainlight 3500 or 5000:
Not a pack that has been mentioned a lot in the list but I have read good reviews in magazines.

Macpac Ravine / Traverse:
A New Zealand company. Anyone had any experience of their packs?

LOGISTICS
Living in the UK I have been concerned with the problem of getting the food I need together in the first place. This could possibly mean having to come over two weeks earlier to undertake this task. Then there is the aspect of re-supplying myself, ie. where to store the food/spare gear and how to arrange for its mailing etc. Any advice on this as well as food planning (types of and quantites) would also be very welcome.

I came across a US Company (The Box Drop -- www.theboxdrop.com) who will carry out the organizing and re-supply aspects of a pct hike for you at a fairly high cost. You can opt for a package whereby you send all your spare gear and food to them and they will mail gear/food to locations specified in an agenda you supply. Another package allows you to continuously request specific gear/food from your cache to be mailed ahead as you progress with your hike. Would be interested if anyone knew of the quality of service that they provide, their track record etc.

I appreciate that this is governed by winter snowfall but many past thru-hikers have got underway around mid April. Is there any significance in that next year the ADZPCTKO is being arranged for the last Saturday in April? I would like to know more about the event if it means meeting up with other thru-hikers -- still not sure what the ADZ stands for either.

For a first time listing I think I have said enough. Look forward to receiving your advice either through the list or you can e-mail me directly.

Many thanks,

Tony Measures

To:            unclemilt@backcountry.net