[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #1333

>From: "Staggerin' Willie" <staggerinwillie@hotmail.com>
>Subject: [pct-l] Giardia on the trail
>
>On the trail, one topic of frequent conversation was a rumor that one of us
>had heard about giardia, which claimed that a certain percentage of the
>population (I've heard everything from 10% to 75%) are immune or partially
>immune

The statistic I've heard is that 75% of the population that HAS Giardia
does not show significant symptoms.  Note that this is very different
than "75% are immune", since most that are infected AND have symptoms
will seek treatment.

On the other hand, I drank untreated, but carefully selected, water from
Kennedy meadows to Seiad Valley, and did not get sick.  We did carry
tinidizole -- much lighter than a filter!

-Carl

To:            pct-l@backcountry.net