RE: [pct-l] Food-storage Outlaws

Several years ago this practice was used by most >70%] JMT hikers. It worked
quite well as opposed to bear bagging [counterbalancing] which seemed to
invite bears and, at a minimum, keep the hiker up all night defending the
food. [Data: I interviewed several JMT hikers in the early 90's]. In
1999-2000 almost all [>85%] JMT hikers use canisters because the bears are
much more agressive. [data point: interviewing JMT hikers during 1999-2000
my Sierra hikes] Bears will swipe food even when hikers are using food as a
pillow. <-maybe not quite but damn close.

Understand however, that JMT hikers generally do not stealth camp and are
hiking much later that PCT hikers when bear [and human] activity is much
greater. What I suspect is that JMT hikers in July-August have trainined
bears to be more agressive, thus making the practice of sleeping with your
food more dangerous.