[pct-l] Food-storage Outlaws

I must confess that on this past year's thru-hike, I was something of a
hiking outlaw when it came to food storage.  Defying both legality and
common sense, I slept most nights in a bivy sack with my food bags on the
ground next to my head.  I was counting on being able to hear any lumbering
beasties, and waking up in time to shoo them off and, if necessary, to do an
emergency nighttime food hanging.  The main exception was when I was camping
near a metal backcountry bear box—then I would use the box.  Perhaps I was
just extraordinarily lucky, but this "technique" (or lack thereof), worked
just fine for six months—I never lost food to bears, and my visits from
"mini-bears" were very infrequent.  I am well aware that this method is
dubious at best, and I certainly wouldn't argue that it is the best, but at
the same time it seemed to be the preferred method for quite a lot of
thru-hikers (I won't name names).  I know that on the list, we are all very
responsible and law-abiding when it comes to such things, but I'm curious if
there are other "food-storage outlaws" out there who have also had success
using this non-technique over a long hike.

Staggerin Willie

To:            pct-L@backcountry.net