[pct-l] Giardia on the trail

On the trail, one topic of frequent conversation was a rumor that one of us
had heard about giardia, which claimed that a certain percentage of the
population (I've heard everything from 10% to 75%) are immune or partially
immune to the bacteria.  Supposedly, these people can drink fairly large
amounts of contaminated water without ill-effect.  Now the best way to test
this unverified rumor would have been for about 20 thru-hikers to drink from
a water source known to be contaminated, then monitor everyone over the next
month, but for some reason, I couldn't find a willing control group.
Nonetheless, as I headed further north, I did become slightly less
discriminating about drinking untreated water, especially in Washington, and
remained healthy.  I'm wondering if anyone out there has also heard this
rumor, and more importantly, if anyone has ever heard it conclusively proven
or debunked.  I'm also curious as to where people have become sick from
drinking untreated water, especially in Washington, along the pct.

SW