[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows to Mt. Whitney

Roy, that was quite a beautiful and eloquent description of the trail
between Kennedy Mdws. and Mt. Whitney.  Like many PCT hikers, I walked this
section after 700 miles of S. California, and that context certainly colored
my perception of that part of the trail.  By the time I reached Kennedy
Mdws., I was so excited about getting to/being in the high sierra that I
experienced the section of trail immediately north as marvelous and
breathtaking, although in retrospect it wasn't quite as scenically awesome
as the John Muir Trail further north.  I, too, remember that moment of
coming over the west shoulder of Olancha peak and seeing the snow-covered
high country spread out before me, so close after walking so far to get to
it, as one of the most joyous of the entire trip.   I also highly recommend
making the side trip to the summit of Olancha Peak.  It's the first time on
the trip that you pass so close to a climbable 12,000 foot peak, and it's a
really fun climb with a dramatic steep drop-off along the eastern escarpment
once you reach the peak.

To:            reynolds@ilan.com, PCT-L@backcountry.net