[pct-l] Unraveling thread.

Will's back:

I work high in the White Mountains (or will for another few weeks) and only
get to email every week or so.
So....

I couldn't believe how the thread on trail running took off and morphed into
the anti-horse, anti-sponsorship, and anti-trail race thread. Unlike some
heated exchanges, this one took off without me, between Brick and Strider in
particular. And I didn't even get any personal flames, which makes me feel
like I'm losing my touch for this sort of thing.

Rather than feeling mad, as I have in the past, last week's exchange makes
me yawn. Look, dear, another example of intolerant PCT-ers. I've only met
about a thousand of them in the past three years. Look, dear, some
uninformed PCT-ers spouting off on the mailing list again.

A few random facts:
1. There are hiking quotas in the high sierra. There are also quotas for the
commmercial packers, but they're really high and getting higher as it
becomes harder to get a permit to hike. This is wrong and people are
"expending energy" to fight it.

2. There are no races through national parks or wilderness areas. Right or
wrong, it's not allowed. People would love to race the Muir Trail, but they
can't.

There are a few things I'd love to know for sure. First, the effect of
various uses of a trail. I'm picturing a University Lab with a strip of
trail. You run over it with a bike, Vibram shoe, running shoe, horse, etc.
and then measure the displacement of dirt, compression, erosion, etc. Until
you do a study like that, it's all bullshit (subjective.)

People don't like horses. People don't like "speed hikers." People don't
like runners. It's so dumb! And it WILL divide wilderness enthusiasts where
there should be harmony. I couldn't believe the things I read about trail
runners and equestrians. If I were to just read some of the entries on the
list, I'd think they were hooligans tearing town trees and putting up
billboards. Oh, wait, that's what the big developers are doing all over the
place while we split hairs about trail running.

--I'm backing off from this mailing list for awhile, and am considering a
permanant break. This may not sound exciting to you guys, but I've been a
regular contributor since 1997, so it's a little sad for me.
      Why?
I have maybe 500 miles of trail to go until I finish the PCT. I could go out
there right now and finish these miles before winter sets in. My job
finishes for the season in a week, I have strong legs, a great partner, and
all the equipment ready to go. But I'm not going out there because...

1. In three years, I've met an incredible number of grouchy and mean PCT
hikers! In 1998 I was told I wasn't a REAL thru-hiker any more because I
hiked the road into Warner Springs. I was told it was IMPOSSIBLE to hike the
Muir Trail in June last year. Thru-hikers wouldn't talk to me this summer
because I was JUST a backpacker, or even lower on the food chain, a CLIMBER.
Now I'm a RUNNER, and it's even worse.

2. I got out the atlas last night and started planning some trips with my
partner. Oh, we could go to Patagonia or the Alps or Arizona. But Will,
don't you want to finish the PCT? Why? Honestly, the only reason I'd finish
it, as opposed to going to the Trinity Alps and Crater Lake to see the
sights I've missed, would be to gain the clout of being a REAL thru-hiker,
and that isn't worth my time. I remember when I was flamed by the guy who
wanted to branch off from this mailing list and start a REAL THRU-HIKER list
for the REAL HARD CORE dudes who slog the entire 2600 miles.
    I bet that every backpacker on this list has faced, at one time or
another, disdain or criticism from a REAL thru-hiker.

3. The list never seems to get anywhere with these endless strings. I've
probably received a thousand anti-equestrian messages since I've been on the
list. And there are horses on the PCT, and there will always be horses on
the PCT. This spring, we'll get another Jardine debate, a start-date debate,
a filter debate, an alcohol stove debate, a permit debate, and all the same
crap I read in 98 and 99. Did y'all know what I did for a permit last year?
I changed the date on my 98 permit -- somewhere in the Sierra I burned it to
stay warm and no one asked me for it anyway. Such are the rare joys in
America: hiking when and where you feel like it.

4. Gear gear gear. I touched on this in "3." For real, why would you write
to the PCT-L for information on a warm sleeping bag? I've seen more crazy
posts here than at a Elvis-is-alive mailing list. The firefighters in Big
Bear say that the PCT-ers have a fad every year. One year, everyone has the
mylar umbrella. One year, everyone's in running shoes. One year, they all
have alcohol stoves or single wall tents, or bivies, or whatever, and the
dropout rate on successful thru-hikes remains the same. You can hike the PCT
with 300 bucks of gear. If you have the mental constitution, good feet, a
good back, and good weather, you can do it. You can carry an army pup tent
or a Bibler. You've got to want to do the hike, and you have to have the
weather -- or it's not happening.

The thing that makes me sad: there's a real need for a PCT-L. But I can't
stand reading it anymore.

will