No Subject

> I guess different types of trail users just can't get along. Everyone
> thinks that THEIR type of use is the only one that is proper for the
trail.
> The following was recently posted on another list about the "Man Against
> Horse" 50 mile trail race:

I think this attitude is common across more activities than trail use.

As a whitewater kayaker I spend most of my time on rivers in the sierras,
but in the fall when most have dried out I'll take my boat to the ocean.
The hassle factor from a small and vocal number of surfers is really
impressive.  Just this past weekend my paddling partner was told to "get the
f*** out," "you don't belong here," and "I hate all of you..."  A big ocean
with lots of waves and they couldn't share.

The same issues come into play with sharing some of the rivers with rafters,
boogie boarders, fishermen, kayakers, power companies with dams, land
owners, etc.  For me the best runs are the ones with no one else around, but
it doesn't always work out that way.

Just as something to think about:  on the rivers some of this is regulated
by the various park services and agencies by limiting the number of people
permitted to go at any one time to an extent far surpassing (I believe) any
of the backcountry permits.  If you and 10 friends wanted to take a trip
down the grand canyon you would be put on a 15-year waiting list (with a
yearly charge to keep current).  Permits for the big rivers in Idaho are
done by yearly lottery with odds of getting  permit being very low.  It's
common to have "permit parties" with a crowd filling out permit lottery
tickets for the same date to increase your odds (at $15 a ticket). The
Selway river allows one group per day from May to September.   I can say
that when you're on these rivers the lack of crowds and people is very nice.

I'm sorry if this is too off topic.

marty