[pct-l] oh no

skin, so a few words....

1. For years, I actually felt guilty about enjoying to run. There are always
lots of people to say, "Look at him. He doesn't REALLY enjoy the wilderness
'cause he just speeds along through it." I tried to go slower just because
so many people told me I was missing something along the way. First of all,
this is a common criticism of thru-hikers on the PCT; the people who spend
two or three months on the JMT see the PCT-ers bustin' along at their 25
mile-a-day clip and cluck and shake their heads.
    Running in the woods is probably as liberating a feeling for me as when
Jardine first put his big pack down and started carrying less, going father,
leading it out.

2. When I reached the ridge near Mt. Baden-Powell, the view was so stunning,
I yelled out and cried. The fact I was in this wonderful race to share this
experience with others just made it more special. I don't like the notion
that runners can't enjoy the woods because they're running.

3. I've been using the term "woods" rather than "wilderness" 'cause the
AC100 doesn't go through the wilderness at all.

4. Finally, a correction for the correspondents who picture the
long-distance runners as a pack of exhausted, stumbling, sweaty disaters
just waiting to crash into hikers and other legitimate users of the PCT. The
AC100 and other trail events are not the Boston Marathon; they're limited to
smallish groups of people and we aren't racing after some huge purse -- we
will step aside to let people by.

I never cease to be amazed by how sensitive PCT-hikers are to the slightest
disruption to their idea of status quo. There are huge, off-road truck races
ripping up the desert, giant clear-cut strips right ON the PCT, trees dying
of smog high in the San Bernadino's, etc., and hikers worry at a hundred-odd
runners using a small section of the trail once a year. Now that I've been
told that the PCTA is "considering" this issue, I'm wondering what the
upshot could be....a ban on running on the PCT? So if you lift your back
foot before the front foot hits the dirt, a PCTA enforcer jumps out from
behind a tree to give a ticket? If running is banned, only criminals will
run (?).
       Sorry, that's a bit dramatic.

will