[pct-l] Flight of the Spiriteagle

hi all,

We finally have access to a computer, the first time in weeks.  We came
into
Etna to resupply, and met the hospitable Joyce Bradley at her very nice
B&B/hiker hostel here.  Dunsmuir had email, but the library was closed
on
Friday. Oh well. We have had some very good experiences in the past few
weeks. Section P was probably the best section on the trail, for us.
All
the beauty of the Sierras, without the daily danger or the crowds.  We
even
got to go swimming in some lovely lakes a time or two. We saw two bears,
our
first on the trail, which was also fun.  Other recent highlights: Burney
Falls  is one of the prettiest waterfalls I've ever seen. (And I've seen
few!)  Hat Creek Rim meant a 30 mile day, carrying enough water to last
over
30 miles. (We reached water the next morning.) Section O had been
cleared of
blowdowns, for the most part, but was still horribly overgrown and with
masses of poison oak. (Guess who's allergic? Both of us.)  Still seeing
lots
of rattlesnakes, and one that looked like a coral snake, but might have
been
a king snake.  We've only seen two thruhikers over the past two weeks -
Tim
and Starman, though we know there are others out there.  Fair number of
dayhikers and section hikers too. It hasn't been lonely.  Jim's new
boots
proved disasterous - his feet are raw hamburger at the moment.  Ashland
is
only 120 miles away, somehow we'll get replacements.  Otherwise, we are
well
and enjoying the trail more than we have in a long time.  It really is
beautiful country.
Walk softly,
Jim and Ginny
Spirit Eagle