Re: [pct-l] bear canisters?

> I have been very pleased with The SubPack II, the Bearproof Cooler.  At
> 12 oz. total, it is much lighter than the cannister, and in addition to
> Bear Proofing, it keeps my food cool while at base camp.  You can check
> it out at www.subpack.com.

According to the Web site, you must drop the SubPack into 6-15 feet of
water. That makes it useless at most creeks, a number of lakes (those with
shallow shorelines), and stealth campsites. What do you do in those
situations? (And if the answer is "hope there are no bears," then why bother
packing in 12 oz. of marginally useful equipment?)