<< Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
 From: Tony Nitz <prehistorictony@yahoo.com>
 Subject: [pct-l] Bear Resistant Containers

 Still progressing on my thru-hike, although I'm at the
 rear of the pack.  Decended Mt. Whitney on 14 July,
 and visited the ranger at the Crabtree Meadows station
 as I passed by on the way back to the PCT.  She
 specifically informed me that the "Ursack," the new
 Kevlar bear resistant food stuff sack, is one of the
 specifically recommended bear resistant containers in
 both Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.  I was
 using the bear boxes until I got off to resupply here
 at Bishop, where I picked up my new Ursack.  I'm
 anxious to see what results it produces.  Now that I
 don't have to camp at established sites, I doubt that
 I'll have much of a problem, though.

 Also, the rangers are reporting bear incidents,
 including one hiker who had his pack shredded, at
 campsites above treeline.  The pack shredding incident
 occured at Trail Camp, the highest established camp
 before ascending Mt. Whitney.

 =====
 Tony Nitz
 Pacific Crest Trail 2000 Thru-Hike!