[pct-l] Bear Resistant Containers

Still progressing on my thru-hike, although I'm at the
rear of the pack.  Decended Mt. Whitney on 14 July,
and visited the ranger at the Crabtree Meadows station
as I passed by on the way back to the PCT.  She
specifically informed me that the "Ursack," the new
Kevlar bear resistant food stuff sack, is one of the
specifically recommended bear resistant containers in
both Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.  I was
using the bear boxes until I got off to resupply here
at Bishop, where I picked up my new Ursack.  I'm
anxious to see what results it produces.  Now that I
don't have to camp at established sites, I doubt that
I'll have much of a problem, though.

Also, the rangers are reporting bear incidents,
including one hiker who had his pack shredded, at
campsites above treeline.  The pack shredding incident
occured at Trail Camp, the highest established camp
before ascending Mt. Whitney.

=====
Tony Nitz
Pacific Crest Trail 2000 Thru-Hike!