[pct-l] Offensive Foul

I was in Lone Pine last week and saw a bunch of PCT hikers who had bailed
onto the main drag. For the first time I could see the
strange/frightening/offensive picture thru-hikers can make in town.

Basically, it looked like these people had shellshock -- and after seeing
the condition of the high country, I understand why. There were packs
emptied onto the sidewalk, a big bearded guy wearing a plaid skirt (?), etc.
While using a sidewalk phone, I listened to another guy irate at Feathered
Friends -- something about his sleeping bag. I know the scene, and the sight
of thru-hikers is like the first robin of spring for me. But
tourists/merchants/cops were not looking with approval on the whole scene,
now you could say, "fuck it, it's a free country," but there are big PCT
patches on those backpacks. Image for Lone Pine residents -- PCT hikers are
freaks; let's hope they go away soon.

The funny part about it was I had just returned from climbing Mt. Russel in
high winds and was a little shellshocked myself. I'll say it again, though
-- after running a 50, climbing four 14-ers in 3 days, and now training for
a 100, I hope I never do anything as scary and strenuous as hiking the high
sierra in a snowy early season.

will