[pct-l] bears

I gotta disagree with Brian re: the probability of bears coming into
campsites -- I haven't spent 300 nights in the Sierra, but between Dan and
me, we've spent more than 150 nights there, sometimes stealth camping,
sometimes off trail (not just on the PCT) -- but never in "bear city central"
(like Rae Lakes) -- even so, I have had more bears than I can remember coming
into camp, sniffing around bear boxes, and trying to get down food hung up
high.  We've also camped a lot above treeline -- never seen a bear up there,
even in the main hiking season. But a friend camped above treeline with food
in his tent woke up to find a bear's teeth gently cradling his ankle!

Coupla trends:

Far fewer bears in stealth camps
Far fewer bears in thru-hiking season.

I've never lost a bit of food to them, but I'm going to get one of those
ursacks for my next bear-country trip.

Karen Berger