RE: [pct-l] Cannisters

The problem with propane/butane canisters are they are NOT reusable.
Although canisters come in many more sizes these days than they did when the
MSR Rapidfire was new, the canister technology is about the same. What has
changed with propane/butane stoves is:
1-The stoves now weigh about 3 ounces. The first of these was the titanium
Primus that I have. However a better buy these days may be the Snow Peak.
There are several others on the market at a cost of $30-$50.
2-Th fuel is now a mixture of propane and butane. This mixture works at a
lower temperature. iso-Butane is an isomer of Butane that acts chemically
like Propane.
3-Smaller [SnowPeak] and larger [Primus] canisters are available. This makes
the total weight less. I single hiker could get many days out of a small
Snow peak so why carry a big can while a group of 5 can go a couple of weeks
on two big canisters that are lighter than the equivalent small canisters.

The problem with these lightweight stoves is they can't use a MSR type
windscreen because the stove screws directly into the top of the canister.
No windscreen may not be a problem for a single hiker cooking 1 meal a day
and resupplying every 5-8 days because he/she should start out with a fresh
canister every resupply to save weight.

However, on a section hike where there is plenty of water available, I tend
to cook for extended times. I find that rehydrating/cooking food yields
better food at less weight. A large part of my pack weight savings is the
food I choose to carry. I find that my family gets by with 1-1.5 pound of
food per day and eats very well. This is because I rehydrate, cook and bake.
Obviously this approach uses more fuel and the efficiency of the stove is
key and a windscreen is a big deal. What I did was fashion a "star" out of
coat hangers. The star fits around the neck of the canister and holds a MSR
windscreen. Thus the stove and pot, but not the canister is enclosed in the
windscreen.