[pct-l] Alcohol as a fuel

I must confess that I don't really see the advantage of using an alcohol
stove over a traditional gas stove, especially when it comes to availability.
I can see that an alcohol stove would be far more reliable than a gas one.
I've seen several whisperlites erupt into flames and actually kicked one I
formerly owned across a meadow in frustration when it kept sputtering out. (I
later discovered that dirty gas is the main reason for reticent
whisperlites). And I would much rather spill alcohol in my pack than gas. But
it seems to me that unless you mailed it in a package, alcohol would be
harder to find in towns and resorts along the PCT than white gas, which I
found to be stocked in most places. I switched to a wood burning Sierra zip
stove last year after watching one in action by a thru hiker. I love it to
death, and ain't ever going back to my $#&%@* whisperlite!! Any thoughts on
this? Mountain Dave