[pct-l] PCT harder

Where did I get my figures from re: PCT and AT completions? The PCT figures
are from the PCT data book, which shows a correlation between the percentage
of finishers and the amount of snowpack (measured as a percent of normal).
Also, in my PCT year (97), 150 started, and I believe (from the PCTA) that
about 75 - 80 finished.

Re: the AT figures: They're from the ATC. Also, some years back, Roland
Mueser did a very scientific survey (he's a retired engineer); in his survey,
the AT failure rate was 85 percent. The ATC people estimate the completion
rate has gone up a bit because of more places that help hikers and more info
avaiable to make planning easier.  Mueser's other interesting info can be
perused in his book, Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian
Trail.

I don't know why it matters which trail is harder, but I can guarantee that
no matter which trail you pick, someone's gonna disagree.

Karen