[pct-l] Re: PCT Thruhike Planning

<< Where would you all start to get an idea of organizing the logistics of a
 PCT thru hike? >>

Four essentials (IMHO):  Get the Trail Guides, get the Data Book, get Craig's
PCT Planner (a program which I'm pretty sure you can access through the <A
HREF="www.pcta.org">PCTA web page</A>), and join the PCTA.

The Trail Guides give you all the detailed maps you will need, and more
background info than you'll probably want.  The usual procedure is to cut the
guides up into sections and mail them with your food drops as you will need
them.

The Data Book is a lot more convenient than the Guides for nailing down
distance travelled on the trail hour by hour, and gives good info about water
sources.

Craig's PCT Planner allows you to plan your own hiking schedule according to
your abilities.  I found it to be very accurate (it takes elevation changes
and trail conditions into account) and will save you a whole lot of time and
effort trying to plan resupply points.  (Sorry, I've lost the site address
for the moment...  Just changed computers and am rebuilding my address book.)

Joining the PCTA not only supports the cause, it solves all the hassle of
getting required wilderness permits.

Oh, and you'll need a nice tuna can alcohol stove to assure a successful
journey!  Good luck!  --  Roy