[pct-l] Altitude Sickness

I have found that I am particularly sensitive to large altitude changes when
they occur over a less than 24 hour period.  While hiking, I am not likely to
be in a situation where I climb more than about 4,000 feet in one day and so
don't usually find this to be a problem (primarily because I don't
voluntarily choose to hike such a route these days!).

Where I find the problem to be, and you may have the worst time, is when I
drive from essentially sea level up to 7,000 feet or more (often 8500 feet).
You may find this to be the case when you start.  However, two days later you
should be okay, depending on your metabolism.  Some people have a LOT more
trouble and, of course, some have no trouble.  My brother-in-law is not
affected by altitude at all.  It is as though he is hiking at sea level when
he is walking at 13,000 feet.  (He was born in Kansas, no wonder! People who
are born in Kansas always have something really weird about them.)

Being in good shape helps but doesn't lessen the effects of altitude
sickness, only helps the cardio vascular effects of altitude.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel
Still a "maybe" for the ADZ