Re: [pct-l] E-mail/Elevation changes

In a message dated 4/6/00 4:17:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time, HShires@aol.com
writes:

<< You don't have to physically plug the thing in; You just hold it up to the
phone.   >>

You don't have to plug it in because it doesn't use a modem. It uses an
acoustic coupler which is why you have to hold it up to the telephone. My
friends said it worked for them. Right, Walt n' Pat? BTW, Walt did have
trouble sending/receiving from the 'pay phones' in Lone Pine. He used the
motel telephone in my room with no problem. The point is, there may be some
pay phones that will not work with Pocketmail device.

Any hiker who makes it as far as Lone Pine will be resourceful enough to find
a telephone that works. Go for it!

Charlie