Re: [pct-l] On the prospects of thruriding

Joann,

I know what you are going through in your planning and getting to know your
animal and considering the logistics of thruriding.  I know because for
years, in the spirit of heavy weight hiking, I have been considering the
prospect of thruriding on an Indian Elephant!

Now, I know what you are all thinking right now, "Greg's lost it!".  Well
actually I haven't lost the elephant yet as I haven't actually located one
yet.  A couple questions to the equestrian group on the list:

1.  Do you think that the elephant will have an advantage over pack animals
in that it can carry so much more weight?
2.  Do you think that the large feet will actually help the trail condition
by compacting down all of the dust and ground up material from horses?
3.  Is there enough room to get an elephant over Forrester Pass?
4.  Are elephants allowed in or, conversely, specifically excluded from
national parks?
5.  Will my elephant be required to get off of the trail to allow a pack
train to pass?

The advantages of riding an elephant are numerous though, when you think
about it.  They aren't phased by heat or cold or snow or rain.  They cross
raging streams great!  Their snout allows them to breath normally even buried
in an avalanche.

The only logistical thing that I haven't figured out is how to feed him.  He
eats up to 700 pounds of food per day!  Now I know that there is a lot of
growth near the trail that he can snack on but Charlie won't like that.  One
thought is contract Reynold's company to air drop bails of hay every quarter
mile.

I have rigged up the coolest two man tent on top of him, too.  I won't even
have to get out of my sleeping bag most days!  Talk about going in style!

TFIC,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

Absurd, isn't it?  But then consider riding a horse on the PCT.  Does that
make any better sense?  I think not.